PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion from FAA to JAA coming to an end?
Old 22nd Dec 2006, 10:23
theaviator2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yap yap yap....... you can always find places no matter where you go where i would be easier to fly.....South of uk yes hard south of spain hmmm prob not what difference does it make, you take yourself in IFR down to the minimums in minniapolis when its 10 below and you might have some fun there too..... Again you can argue the fliying but thats not the problem, The problem is the system and the system doesent work...
The JAA system is good dont get me wrong, but it aint perfect and the ATPL is one of the things they should look at.....
Why do you think more and more companies here in the middle east is now accepting pilots with FAA licence, companies that 2 years ago required JAA ATPL, because they see that pilots educated in the US got alot of experience, atleast 1200 min and most times even more...

I sat down and wrote and add on a different forum regarding a job opening we had for an FO to fly the lear, JAA/FAA didnt matter......
I got a WHOLE LOT of resumes, lots of JAA Guy's with between 250-400 hours lots of them even had a selfsponsored 737 Type, and then i had the FAA guys with NO 737 type but between 1500 hours and 2500 hours......who should my chief pilot take for interview?? wouldnt even conside they low time pilots, first off because of their lagging experience and second off because insurance is a whole lot cheaper if you got time in your book and the insurance does not look at wether you got FAA or JAA licence.... So what good did the JAA do to these guys, apart from putting them in the hole big time financially, NOTHING... they are sitting desperate with no job and endup desperate enough to spend an additional 15000 punds on a Stupid 737 type and only maybe and i say maybe 1 out of 20 are lucky to get a job.... THATS THE FACT and i know them as some of my friends a instructors on several british schools and knows all about it...

And finally dont get me wrong, the FAA systems is not perfect not at all....you got brilliant pilots with 900-1000 hours who cant get a job before they reach the golden 1200 but thats atleast something you can work with, you might have to slave yourself a bit more and instruct or some other crap for a little while longer, but atleast you FLY.

And at the end of the day flying is what we do, and we are good at it, Love it and live it cos before we know it its all too late, flying in africa, europe, Us, Asia, South america, its all the same we do this because we love it, so dont let the system take the joy away