PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rubbish taught by flying instructors.
Old 22nd Dec 2006, 05:01
the wizard of auz
Bugsmasherdriverandjediknite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

WTF is this cr&p about orbiting on final!?!?!
So we're quite happy to fly an orbit at lowish altitude, low speed with gear and flap out are we?!.
Not only is this potentially unsafe, it's a great way to fcuk around an otherwise orderly circuit pattern.
What a load of crap.
Just how is it dangerous?????
The aircraft doing an orbit could be on a 20/10/5 mile final, and not even in the circuit. Just how does this stuff your orderly circuit up?.
If you cannot fly a safe orbit with your gear and flap out buddy, you shouldn't be in the cockpit.
How many miles do you need to organize a safe stable approach?.
you can be safe, and efficient and display extremely good airmanship by separating yourself from traffic with an orbit........... regardless of where you happen to be in the circuit. if the aircraft had a tendency to fall to the ground when completing an orbit........... It would have a great big sticker on the dashboard stating " Orbits below 1000 feet prohibited" and CASA would install something in the regs to stop you doing it.

I might also add, in my 14 years of clattering around the sky into CTAS's and MTAF's (oh, I mean MBZ,s) I have probably had to join a circuit to seperate my self from traffic maybe half a dozen times........ so there generally isn't a circuit to mess up. (well, except Broome.its always full). competent use of your radio will provide you and any other traffic with enough separation to avoid any conflict.