PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverness Radar
Thread: Inverness Radar
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2006, 23:33
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC rated with a certain amount of military experience, so I'm comfortable with SRAs and PARs if offered. Clearly I suit my flight profile to the conditions and weather - usually IFR to within 20D if necessary then VFR if possible from then on, but occasionally it's easier on the controllers for me to remain IFR. Common sense dictates that if I'm offered a service I should at the least seriously consider taking it, therefore if they offer it they should expect me to take it. Yes, I carry diversion fuel (actually, I usually carry alternate fuel and hold fuel well beyond the basic JAR OPS requirements, unlike airlines now landing without enough fuel for a missed approach at the alternate!) & full plates, and have practical experience of all the relevant approaches, both day and night. The timed VOR approach to 23 with cloudbreak to 05 does not remove the 05 ILS for 30 mins - I'm not quite sure where you get your timings from, but it's only 3 mins outbound, 1min10s in the base turn, and I would expect to be able to change to a VFR (and therefore visual...) approach during the inbound leg, thus removing me from the IFR equation. Total time? Maximum 6 mins in real life, and I can accept unusual hold heights that aircraft with passengers are often unable to accept. If doing the more standard approaches, 18-19nm plus a base turn doesn't add up to 20-30mins last time I used a CRP5 (this morning). If I fly at all, let alone IFR, I fly with the correct kit & reference aids & plan properly - I can't answer for everyone, but please don't assume all GA pilots blunder around randomly with nothing more than the legal VFR minimum of a stopwatch! Oh, and as I'm sure you're aware if you fly into INV regularly, Kinloss hasn't been available as a diversion for over 6 months - as advised in the relevant AICs.

90kts in the DME equipped aircraft? None of the DME equipped aircraft I regularly fly carry out procedures as slowly as 90kts. I'm not sure what DME equipped aircraft you've flown at INV that carry out the procedure at that speed, the ones I regularly fly maintain at least 105kts until 4D, significantly more in the retractables. Not a major difference I know, but it does help to get the facts spot on.

Yes, of course there are prats who mess up the procedures for everyone - I remember the times when EZY were averaging 1 conflict a week, not to mention coming on frequency asking Inverness Tower for radar approaches, asking for the Ground frequency, etc. As far as I'm concerned we're all aircraft despite such differing approach profiles, while good airmanship suggests booking in for the less busy times. Equally, if ATC do clear me for a slot when they know the aircraft type then it's only fair for me to assume that they're aware of their expected inbound traffic, fuel states, hold times, EATs, etc! As another example of how commercial traffic can also mess up the pattern, a few months ago I was held orbiting outside the ATZ for nearly the full 45 minutes (reciprocating engined aircraft hold fuel as specified in JAR Flight Planning) thanks to a J32 practising visual circuits at as high a speed as possible between scheduled approaches. I could just have adjusted my speed to slot in nicely (I'm quite happy to maintain cruise speed down to very short finals - when the Calibrator was working recently at night on the 05 ILS ATC asked me to position for 23 "tight, fast, and to turn off by the intersection", an interesting combination!), but it would've made everyone's life easier for the Jetstream to reduce speed for a circuit or 2 rather than hammering around at 1000' and high power. Good airmanship surely?

In conclusion... I'd far rather we all operated & worked together - everyone has to start somewhere, and therefore start off in GA and gain valuable experience that way. It's unwise to lump all GA pilots together based on the lack of a company callsign, bearing in mind the current range at INV from basic NPPL doing a couple of hours a month at most with little currency, airmanship, and understanding of aviation all the way up to a tame 747 training captain or 2 instructing for fun. Yes, of course there are pilots who let us all down, but please don't assume we're all the same - personally, I can think of a couple of examples of extremely sloppy commercial flying purely from the flights I did today, scheduled aircraft misunderstanding procedural arc-ils approaches and attempting to gain a clearance to descend below MSA, etc... If I can successfully fly an arc-ils solo at night for the first time without any problems without annoying anyone, I have every right to expect a ATPL holder to do the same! Yes, being accused of "fannying around pretending to be an IFR inbound" by someone who doesn't know me or the flying I do does annoy me, with justification I think.

Rant over - can we all get along, or would everyone but me rather that GA at INV followed the path of the suddenly closed flying school at ADZ??