PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Inverness Radar
Thread: Inverness Radar
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2006, 20:58
madlandrover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm. Those who actually work in/with it may correct me later, but for now... As far as I'm aware Lossie are contracted (free...) to operate Inverness Approach until this March, when the contract ends whether we want it to or not. Personally I've had nothing but excellent services from Lossie, partly of course because I very very rarely accept RAS, I'd far rather take RIS and maintain my own brain - then again, I'm not exactly Public Transport so can do as I like.

Yes, they operate in a military manner, but that's a problem for whoever thought up the initial contract rather than Lossie themselves, personally as an ex-military (not for long, but every hour counts...) pilot I find them a bit crisper and more responsive than most civvy units, and it does help that they're nowhere near as commercially focused as Inverness! A couple of times Inverness have denied me IFR inbound slots and the weather's been VFR but without the safety margin I'd like, and Lossie have got me IFR slots straight away with no fuss. Yes, I'm biased, but it'll be interesting to see how the transition period goes - on a serious note, I do of course hope Inverness Radar is successful!