PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots leaveing City Jet turns into a flood
Old 19th Dec 2006, 15:54
downbound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I used to work for CityJet, and I can agree with what is written here before. This is what I remember from my two years there, as F/O and Cpt.

Short, it is a ****-place to work.

The reason is the management pilots, who you as a pilot is most in contact with, and the culture they create.

It's a culture of pure punishment. The sim-sessions are checking rather than training, but not only that, if they don't like you they will fail you for anything no matter how you fly. This is probably even more true regarding the linechecks.
I witnessed many people that were completely regarding their upgrade. CityJet have no seniority scale and upgrade comes when you have the hours. Normally everyone that applies gets the interview, but either you there or during the sim-check that follows. Ok, some might not pass the selection, yes, but here it is pure politics. If you once did a mistake (mistake being everything from getting caught reading on the flightdeck, eating the same time as the other guy, not copying via volmet all the weather in central Europe on a flight from CDG to ZRH, not simply being liked by chief pilot etc etc) you will never get the upgrade.

Pilots have been so disappointed with, among others, the chief pilot, that they avoid his room in the office. In other companies I've worked in the chief pilots door is always open and you can pop in for a chat or a coffee. In CityJet his door is also open, but people avoid it... and there is good reasons to do so.

Crewcontrol has no respect of you private life, they constantly call you on days off and sometimes even during vacation. You start as a new guy doing them favour after favour, but understand soon that you will get nothing back (that is doing a swap, or arrange a day off och vacation for a medical appointment, funeral or other whatever family event). Crewplanning and crewcontrol have a few members who seem to come straight from an Irish highschool (cheap?) and are happy to control a pilot, and they come with no respect what so ever. I don't need much respect, but after all we fly (I flew) for Air France with up to 100 pax onboard. I thought that I ought to be spoken to and treated better than I was.
On that subject, you will never get the vacation you request, if you get any vacation at all. Sometimes it just appears on your roster because it suits the company so. I worked there for two years, and left CityJet with more than a years vacation. And yes, I was applying for vacation frequently.

After two years in the company I was totally exhausted. For one thing the lack of vacation, and the other that you work a lot... Having friends in Ryan and easyJet coming from CityJet, they say they are not tired after a four sector day, simply because the aircraft. The 146 is very demanding to fly, even more demanding with the maintenace in CityJet (APU and autopilot very often u/s).
Me flying a "modern" aircraft now, don't have that problem anymore. I work for a company who respects you and your private life, the rosters are more human and you can actually use the vacation that is legally yours.

Having said this, I would recommend CityJet for unexperienced pilots. You get good hours quick, and you'll develop excellent flying skills in the classic cockpit with sometimes no autopilot, and if you stay a few yaers you will have your upgrade. And after all, it is a company within Groupe Air France.

But, for experienced pilots there are many other much better options out there. (Unless you come on a contract and can cash the big €.) But as a longterm job it won't work. You will feel it soon, the lack of energy in you body, as well the psychological pressure. Even if you only see great colleges (many of them!), the only thing you natrually talk about is the going on in the company.

Good Luck!