PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 4
Thread: CORK - 4
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2006, 13:15
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since last night it has been yet another long day of lost pax for Cork Airport. Before midnight two EI A320s diverted to Shannon and then in the early hours the two Wizz Air A320s from Katowice and Gdansk also diverted to Shannon. The galling thing is that both Wizz Air flights would, undoubtedly, have been full to the brim outbound with folk from Poland heading home for the Christmas Holiday. The loss on the Poland flights alone would be near to 360 pax.

There was a lucky break around 9 am when the Central Wings from Wroclaw eventually landed at Cork after having first decided to go to snn but that luck did not hold as both the FR9843 headed back again to Dublin and then the EI841 from AMS also diverted to Shannon.

Why does Cork Airport not have a CATIII ILS? Yes, I am repeating myself but not for one moment do I accept talk about rad alt and slopes being the final word on why Cork cannot overcome the installation issue. The technical issues must be overcome and if this takes pots of cash to get it right and if the Dublin Airport Authority refuses to recognise the dire situation Cork Airport is in regularly due to low cloud and some fog is it time to go to the private sector and sell off Cork Airport?

Why are the folk whom are charged with responsibility at Cork Airport not speaking out about this crazy situation the airport finds itself in once again today during this holiday period? It is a disgrace. Up to time 1415z today by my rough reckoning Cork Airport has so far lost around 1200 pax or even more since last night. It will be interesting to note what waffle the public relations companies hired by the the Dublin Airport Authority and their servants in the Cork Airport Authority come up with on this latest disaster at one of our nation's airports.

As for flights to America from Cork - dream on! If the bilateral disappeared tomorrow morning it would mean very little for a long, long time. In 2006 the sole airbridge at the new Cork Airport may be looked on as the new airport's Annex of Incompetence.

Last edited by Tom the Tenor; 19th Dec 2006 at 18:07.