PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can regular soldiers be 'promoted' to flying after serving in the British Army
Old 19th Dec 2006, 09:17
LeanMe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sicky
Is it toughto get into the AAC, full stop? Even as ground crew etc?

I've just put an application in for the RAF, but have a feeling my eyesight will let me down. You never know til you try though, fingers crossed.

As for this thread, i was looking into a similar issue a while ago and the general impression i got was that yes, it is possible to do that sort of thing but it is pretty much frowned upon and not very common. Maybe you'd have to be exceptional and really excel for them to allow it.

It's more common than many think. There is a certain F/L in SHF who started as an Air Trooper in the AAC. When I met him in '93 he was a Sgt Loadie, swiftly promoted to Flt Sgt. And now he's a Flt Lt in SHFHQ, trying to get back to flying duties.
There's a certain ex-Matelot on an SH Sqn whom I first met in Iraq, he's now a MACR in the RAF.
On the same Squadron there's an ex-AAC Captain who now holds the rank of Flt Lt and an ex-Marine who is now a Flt Sgt Loadie.
As far as SH goes, it seems that we don't care where you come from, if you want to join the proper sharp end on the Flying Green Twin-Tub, there'll be a place for you! I forgot to mention the Sqn Ldr on another SH Sqn I was on, he'd been in the RAF for some time but everyone still called him The Major.