PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion from FAA to JAA coming to an end?
Old 19th Dec 2006, 03:24
mortennb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightning_Boy
Mortennb,

Don't take this the wrong way but.......You have spent almost a year complaining about the JAA system. I agree with you, the majority of the course is of no use to helicopter pilots and yes I also agree, there should be an easier way to convert from an ICAO licence. You left the states long before I did, but in that time I have managed to complete the ATPL exams, get a ME IR and land a job. I'm not one of these people who say "I've had to do it, so should you" but unfortunatley, that's how the system is. We all knew these exams would be here on our return, complaining isn't going to make them go away. It depends how badly you want it, the controller is known for the odd winge granted but he has worked his ar$e off over the past few months just to get the exams done, just like the rest of us.
A lot of people try and take the easy route, complain and convince themselves the regulations will be changed in their favour (I was one of them) but at the end of the day, if thats what your waiting for, you could be a long time sat on the terra firma.
Get your head down, jump through the hoops and when the licence does turn up, you'll feel good about the hard work you have put in.

Please dont take this as a personal insult to you (apologies if it sounds that way) its just advise to get you back up in the air and flying in the country you really want to fly in, home.

Hope it all goes well for you

LB
I know what you mean LB. And if it comes to it, I will bite the dust. But the problem isn't to just start the "ATPL course". It costs money. As you probably know. And as you also probably know, most schools advertise with a lower price than what you actually will spend.. So you want to give me 35k for my JAA ATP and IR?

And I am not sure if your think I am in Europe sitting on my ass, I am still in the US with a visa valid untill October 2007. So I am not going home yet. And it doesnt matter where I fly. I would like to fly "home", but working 2/2 shift somewhere else in the world wouldnt really bother me.

And the conversion might change it might not. We will see.