PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transair and the Regulator.
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2006, 08:19
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Constructive

Fiona
There are many who cannot, and will not possibly understand the terrible experience that you have had, and the effect this has on you. We must forgive them, for they lnow not what they do.
I have "walked in your shoes", albeit a long time ago. The memories and emotions have faded over the years, but the loss is still there.

You have every right to make every effort to do what you consider necessary to find out what happened, and help prevent a repeat of disasters of this nature in the future. I am sure your input and influence will be constructive. and must be respected.

I am sure you are well aware that aviation is a very complex affair and great efforts are made to find the factors that cause these things to happen.
But more complex and incomprehensible are the rules, the regulatory processes, the legal system, and the people involved.
Often, they work in mysterious ways, their miracles to perform. CASA makes lots of rules, and does audits, as it believes it should. It calls itself a "safety authority" (Overseas authorities do not use the word "safety" in their title) and believes it controls safety. Safety is really controlled by the people who are doing the job, working as a big team, and checking one another. But people can, and do make mistakes. I suggest you look at Dick Smith's web site, and see the mistakes that are listed, including the accidental inflight shutdown of an engine in a 737. CASA can find fault with almost any operator, if they wish.

I have no knowledge of, or experience with Transair, and I mke no comment on their integrity or otherwise.

In the Air New Zealand crash at Mt Erebus there were a number of things not quite as they should be before the cresh, and a whole lot more nasty things after the crash. The legal processes were long and far reaching. One honest man who I greatly admire, stood up in court, and admitted a serious mistake. A respected judge was one of the casualties of the legal processes. No-one was jailed.

But slowly and quietly all the baddies disappeared, and Air New Zealand went on to become the great airline that it is today.
Accident investigators learned a lot from those processes, and often refer back to it as the beginning of a new era in accident investigation.
These things work in mysterious ways, their miracles to perform. Sonetimes the obvious things do not appear to be done, but the end result is good.

No doubt there will be legal processes on going from the Lockhart river crash
and these can be frustrating, testing times.

Fiona, you are obviously a strong, sensible woman, and will cope. There are many on PRUNE and elswhere who do understand, and wish you well.
And if you think that silly old bugger in Alice Springs can help. send me a PM.

Good luck.

Last edited by bushy; 17th Dec 2006 at 08:30.