PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - aerodynamic question
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2006, 10:37
Graviman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Pologies for reopening subject...

The more i think about the Robinson "Wee-Wa" explanation for the 18 deg D3 in the R22 teetering head, the less it makes sense. Change of D3 with coning i do get, however.

A teetering gyro is a gyro, which always requires input force 90 degrees to movement. This is true of both the aerodynamic and inertial forces. The exception to this is for the case of some hinge offset, but i got the impression the R22 hub flapwise elastomeric bearing was extremely compliant. Certainly a well tracked and balanced rotor does not vibrate with cyclic input.

Using the figure above for the 15% hinge offset Comanche blade (thus Nblade 1.124 of Nrotor) of damping 0.5 Ccrit, and Prouty's calculations gives a Lock number of roughly 13.9. I would be interested how this compares to the actual machine, since it is higher than generally accepted value of 8 - then again Comanche could perform. Also insert these numbers into another equation in Prouty's book of magic, gives the required phase angle of 76.9 degrees - not far off post #25 estimate.

So the question is: does anyone understand how "Wee-wa" works in the real world?

Mart