PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAS and Typhoon
Thread: CAS and Typhoon
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2006, 23:02
rudekid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BusterHot

Sadly chap, I don't agree. The CAS is, in my opinion a top bloke and with a proven track record as a very capable operator. However, the point seems to me that in an era where his 'train set' is facing massive financial restrictions on anything that doesn't seem to help the delivery of operational effect, then he has been badly advised or made an error of judgement.

My unit has (as I have already stated) been tasked to look at how we may reduce our training hours to accomplish the same effect. With a third of our daily line ac in the ME, we are currently facing an uphill battle to get any training in the UK. With our current dilution rate (we are losing experienced operators all over the place) we are faced with giving less training to less experienced pilots and still deliver the goods in theatre. THIS IS NOT JUST HAPPENING AT MY UNIT.

Tell me then, how we can turn round to our 350 hour first tourists and say that we can't provide the additional hours they need to get CR, prior to going to the ME. Then tell the guy who has already been three times this year that he has to go again because we can't get the baby pilots to CR status. This is a function of the lack of training hours.

But it's okay because CAS has gone solo on Typhoon! Well done.

Now I appreciate that Typhoon might have hours to burn, but I suspect not. I believe that Typhoon now has first tourists ab-initio pilots. Why aren't they burning the hours?

You may begin to see how other units may have a slight issue with the 'presentation' of this.

If the CAS wants to fly IN it, all very well. If he wants to fly the sim, all very well. Nonetheless, if you can demonstrate how him flying solo in it provides any increase to our operational effectiveness and I will eat my hat. Except the badge!