PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Conversion from FAA to JAA coming to an end?
Old 15th Dec 2006, 18:34
Winnie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Should really keep this to myself but...

In the US, lots of europeans and others come over to get their licenses, spend LOTS of money, live there for two years, doing jobs that noone else wants to do, then goes home. What is the problem with that?

It's just like the problem with those guys sneaking across the border...
There is no other oportunity for anybody. If you are not american, nobody will hire you for anything BUT instruction.

You would be coming to europe for what? like you said there are no lowtimer jobs there.

All the licenses are based in some way on ICAO, so what would be the problem of changing it to a worldwide system, at least within ICAO.

How much you paid is irellevant, as is whether you did 14 exams or 3. Can you fly to the standard required? Do you know the relevant regs? If so keep on trucking.

I hold European (Norwegian CAA) licenses and US and Canadian. Had to convert to canadian licenses, which was a piece of cake. Converting to Norwegian, a LOOONG waste of time, effort, money and so on, but did anything change? No, the air was actually the same.

I think Europe should be looking more towards a licensing system like the ones in the US/Canada, as these are more realistic towrds the job we do, FLY aircraft.

My opinion.