PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alcohol and Pilots
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2006, 14:59
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
asara

I don't feel strongly about it, but I'm against random drug and alcohol testing. I'd take a different view if I thought there was a need to do so in the interests of flight safety; I don't. (See below.)
Would you include all professions/jobs where a mistake might lead to death or serious injury of others? eg Surgeons, doctors, pharmacists? Train drivers, bus drivers? All public transport drivers?
Lawyers? Lives aren't literally at risk, but a mistake by a lawyer can have the effect of ruining someone's life.
Where would you draw the line?

Nothing I've read or heard suggests to me that random breath-testing of pilots is warranted. Of course I've heard stories, but I've seen no evidence that it is or ever has been a flight safety problem.
This topic has come up previously in threads relating to airline pilots. Those who claim there's a problem have been challenged to come up with examples of accidents where there is evidence that a pilot was under the influence of alcohol. From memory, they've come up with a couple of certains and a few possibles - from all the millions of miles flown every year since accident investigations began and records were kept.

Of course there are occasions when we should be proactive, but there should IMHO be some basis for fearing an accident might happen unless we take action to prevent it. I've seen no evidence that there is any basis for such a fear.

FL