PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pilot to Civilian Flying?
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2006, 15:25
vic1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new start in UK...does life start at 35?

Hi,
I am a new member. I have about 16 years of flying ( about 3500 hrs) ex- military (in India). I have an ICAO ATPL endorsed on P-68 (Its a ME) and current IR. I want to relocate to the UK, while i still have the time to start on a new career. I am 35 now. I have permission to work here in UK. I was a Qualified Flying Instructor in the military and have about 8 years of instructional experience.

I would like to know some very basic stuff:-...yes i went thru the LASORS but kept going round in circles...(loops)!

(a) I want to relocate to the UK and am keen for a JAA/ATP licence and placement in an airline. In the meanwhile, i want to utilise this time and pick up something to do while i clear all the ground tests/ skill test etc. How much time does it take to do it?

(b) Whats the route to becoming a Flying Instructor in a local club in the UK for me? Do i have to do the entire 14 JAA exams for it? and then the FI? Do i get any credits for my ICAO licence and past experience/QFI status? And worse of all....and most importantly....how much does it cost me (approx)?

(c) Aviation in India is big right now and a lot of European pilots are looking for jobs in India. The money is better than most of other places in the world with many start up airlines. A couple of my friends think i am going against the current...and i may be...but due to family constaints, i need to do this.

Would be grateful for some genuine advice. Thanks.

Last edited by vic1; 15th Dec 2006 at 18:32.