PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sideslipping high wing cessnas with flaps
Old 14th Dec 2006, 15:08
Angels One Fife

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FormationFlyer
Quite. To clarify for those who havent heard the myth...The myth I was talking about was the blanket statement that PA28s cant spin. Some can - the PA28 140 for instance - whereas pretty much all the others I have come across prohibit it. However as you say it does have to be done within the utility category.

Well at least the blanket statement kept everyone safe for plenty of time who was not able or knowledgable enough to, but may have been impressionable enough, to go off and try something that they ought not too. The majority of PA28 variants are clearly placarded expressly prohibiting spinning in the utility and public transport categories and also within there P.O.H.'s. The fact that some in the know may have flown every variant of a wide scope of aircraft like the PA28 with can go from underpowered chopped wings machines to complex types both T-tailed and conventionall and the same tail and wing are even on a tandem seated basic military trainer/toy (admittedly not called a PA 28 but very similar) means that at least for the one variant which then needs a closely checked C of G to ensure the caveats are met for it to then be used for spinning, seems all a little dangerous for me. ( not the spinning )

The point is Formation Flyer I am sure you know what you are doing however I am also acutely aware of the impressionable ways of many private/student even instructor pilots who having read a post with a phrase suposedly dispelling a myth may not have bothered to read the whole caveats or understood them particularly because you left it a number of days to eloborate your statement. I'm all for a bit of poking fun and crew room banter to ellicit a response but maybe on a medium such as this it is better to elaborate and not leave a topic hanging if you know the answer yourself.