PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perfect Landing C182
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2006, 12:51
Wheeler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting back to the point, I have a lot of sympathy with Double Donk and still have 'whoops' even after 500hrs in the 182.. Yes, I can embarass myself quite easily in a 182. The trick is holding off or getting it to poke its nose up before the mains contact - sometimes that nose wheel just won't come up. I reckon speed is the key but if you are too slow (and some of those saying 60-65 on final might be a tad slow? 80 certainly is far too fast), there is not enough wind going over the elevators and the nose will not come up no matter how hard you pull, especially with full flap and no-one in the back - the result is usually bang or bounce. Rounding out at the correct height is very important with 182's - start pulling too early - and guess what? - bang!

The RG is harder than the fixed version, probably because it has those little wheels, apparently shorter back legs (so harder to keep off the nosewheel) and the bigger heavier (but much better!) Lycoming up front. Bumpy gravel runways certainly exacerbate this situation. Having said all of that, yeah they are easy enough to land safely but personally I find greasers fewer and farer between - However, comparisons above with 152's and 172's are superfluous. The basic technique might be the same but RG's in particular are much heavier and far less forgiving if you don't fly the numbers and round out/hold-off accurately - which of course is why I still have my 'whoopses'.