PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Line Pilot's Working Week
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2006, 10:51
low n' slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My job might not be the "typical" first job as many of the lowtimers seem fixed on getting a RHS on a big jet as the first job. Because of this, my account might not be valid for you but I'll still list the things I like with my job.
I fly commuter traffic in finland on a TP so we're in constant icing and turbulence.
Positive things:
- Short sectors: you never get bored, constantly working ahead.
- Many sectors per day: You quickly get into the game and while someone is doing just about 3 landings per month (comparing to cargo longhaul), I've lost count of mine....
- Small company: You know the guys you're flying with.
- Salary: Never having had a real job before this job, I guess any amount of money would suffice, but I'm quite happy with what I'm making and I also get around 10-12 days of a month.

In general: My life, much as before is set aside for flying. I still live to fly instead of fly to live, although it kind of helps having an income...
Is there any other job in which you controll a huge lump of metal being hurled through the sky at 250 knots? Just thinking of that when I'm up makes me happy and proud of what I'm doing. I pretty much like all aspects of flying. I don't mind if it's windy and bumpy, it's fun anyway. Icing isn't a problem. So we might not be able to climb as high as we would want, but have you ever seen 2 cm layer of clear ice being blasted away by the boots? It's pretty darn cool... They can delay us as much as they want and the plane can have it's problems. At the time, I'm only concearned with learning as much as possible. As soon as there's a problem, my focus is on helping my commander to solve it and I try to learn a lesson or two in the process so that when I make it to the left seat, I'll know what to do and how to do it best.
It's all those little things that gets me going. Call me easy to please, but I appreciate the small things that i found fascinating when I was a little kid. The only difference is that I'm inside the FD instead of outside, looking in with big eyes.

But I have seen pilots that obviously don't have the same interest in flying as I do. They either never get a job or once they get it, get bored and stop flying.
/LnS