PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind competency before or after the first solo - your comments.
Old 10th Dec 2006, 23:47
Nil Flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bit of wind....

Sorry to hijack thread but I'm still buzzing after completing my first solo yesterday.

Got out nice and early to do it and it all went fine. Well, sort of! My first two touch-and-gos turned into go-rounds... and after that I doubted if the session was going to end with a solo at all, but my performance improved after that.

I had absolutely perfect conditions the previous morning and my FI told me to go solo then but I declined - only because the family weren't there to watch! (They started me flying as a present, so thought it was only fair they should witness the occasion). I was beginning to wonder yesterday if declining the opportunity the previous morning was a good one after all!

Anyway, in the end all went well. Conditions were a little weird on my solo; hardly any wind on ground but pretty blowy up there in the circuit. Obviously FI made sure I could cope before making me venture out alone.

I'm as happy for him as I am for me because this was his first solo send-off (just gained Grade 2)....good on him!!! And thankfully there was no incident on landing, so he's still in with a job!

For anyone else who's reading this who is soon to go solo, stay focused, do everything as you did before (talking out loud through all your tasks like you may do with your FI proves to be very calming), try to forget he's not sitting alongside you...but not everything else you're supposed to do.

It's a huge kick and once you're on crosswind, it's not as scary as you'd think!

Happy Soloing!