PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rubbish taught by flying instructors.
Old 10th Dec 2006, 04:00
milehighsociety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,

some interesting points there regarding attitude for airspeed etc.. Some of it is quite valid and certainly noone has delivered any such explaination to me. I see some worth reasons there.

On that note, I was a QF cadet, before they started churning em out. I decided the airlines wasnt for me but I still speak regularly to many QF pilots. I discussed this matter with a few of them.

QF syllabus when I was learning was attitude for aimpoint and throttle for airspeed. QF pilots currently flying 737's say they are still taught that method for current day operations.

Dont get me wrong.. All the flying training has to get done and money and circumstance will always drive people. Therefore its inevitabel that we will get this trend for many years to come. Im certainly not blowing a gasket but there is one very inherent problem:

Flying schools teacha student to a CPL, then an instructor rating. Instantly they offer jobs as instructors to the students, whom take the job as its an easy way to get hours. We are now in a situation where someone with literally NO commercial experience, is trying to teach someone how to fly commercially. As a result, the quality of pilots has degraded significantly.

Personally, I love to spend the time to train my pilots. I fly many hours with them and offer a 24 hour support deal, they can ask anything they like and I never get mad. I was a greenback once too. I didnt get help, and it caused me greif for a long time, I wont make that mistake.

I am not here to offend instructors or greenbacks. I am merely raising a point which I thyink needs attention. Put simply, I think our instructors should require some degree of commercial experience, how on earth can they teach commercial pilots how to fly if they themselves have not yet been one.