PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rubbish taught by flying instructors.
Old 9th Dec 2006, 03:06
milehighsociety

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey all... I have flicked through alot of this posts and would like to say the following....

I have recently started my own business and as a result have recently hired my first handful of pilots from various flight schools.

What I have experienced is utter nonsense...

I have found some of the following trends..

They teach on finals, attitude for airspeed and throttle for rate of decent!! Stupidest thing Ive ever heard

A general disregard for commercial ops and passenger comfort... lack of proffesionalism with passenger breifing..

Extremely poor top of decent point selection, sometimes nothing more than just eyeball it..

Poor engine handling

Lack of regard for prop damage on dirt strips

poor spacial orientation and understanding of traffic for seperation

Very poor take off safety breifs and departure breifs

Poor landing technique, from aimpoint selection

There are a few extras but Im sure you get the point. Basically, flying schools these days are designed to churn students through. The people doing the teaching are often greenbacks themselves offered employment straight out of training with no actual commercial experience... the blind leading the blind.

I think the problems leads far deeper than the aircraft types and new systems in modern aircraft. If the people doing the teaching are themselves lacking in any real commercial experience, then what hope does any new pilot have??

I havnt had a new pilot yet, that didnt make me want to personally call their old flying schools and give them a good telling off.. Sending these guys out to commercial flying with no commercial skills or consideration.

Its an absolute joke. They ought to have a damned good look at themsleves.