PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates
Thread: Emirates
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2006, 08:13
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swh
Dont think so, I think the GEnx on the 747-8 has a smaller fan, less thrust, one less generator, and normal bleed pickoff.
Yeah but I think it's the same basic core; one of the reasons the new 747 is called the '-8' is to connote that it's taking some of the new technology from the 787 and I think that extends to donks. Will do some reading over the day and update later.

Surfing done. SWH is correct in that the fan diam on the GEnx for 787 is 111" and for the 747-8, 104" but they appear to be getting classified by the manufacturer as essentially the same engine:

To date, 17 customers have placed firm orders for more than 575 GEnx engines. The engine will power the Boeing 787 and 747-8 and the Airbus A350 aircraft. The value of the engines sold is more than $7 billion.
There's also a note on Wikipedia.

Reading some of Boeing's blurb when EK first started making noises about 787-10, it appears Boeing have been reluctant to kick off a -10 is because it would effectively kill off the 777. Hence Boeing probably don't want to do that until the programme has met its long-term revenue targets. Of course, come 2015 or so the 777 programme will be getting towards 30 years old and so looking at its natural run-down, but right now Boeing would be understandably reticent to promise anything which would impact sales of one of its most profitable programmes.

Hence it would probably want to be looking at launching with 3 or 4 large orders for the -10 before it committed.

Last edited by Taildragger67; 8th Dec 2006 at 09:28. Reason: Done the research as promised.