PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rubbish taught by flying instructors.
Old 7th Dec 2006, 13:23
bushy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dragchute

It's a long time since I last had much to do with a flying school, so I will not speak for them, or their checklists. But I do have experience of operating charter and airwork, and I can tell you that the local CASA man has a lot of say in what you write in the checklist (verbally of course), and you will not get much done if you do not follow it, even if it is not what the maker says, or what the FAA approved. They DO seem to say that some things the FAA approve is "deficient"
I know there are some good people in CASA now, but they are only allowed to tick boxes.

Having two different checklists in an aeroplane IS "deficient"

I have had similar experience with other parts of the ops manual. And it does not matter what you write, every time you get a visit from CASA, they will tell you to re-write part of your ops manual. They seem to suffer from legal paranoia.

Halfmoon
Rolls Royce have stated that best fuel economy is achieved with "high boost and low RPM".
This furphy about not flying with power settings "over square" grew up a long time ago, but I have never seen any justification for it anywhere, and many POH's do list "over square" power settings for normal operation. So do engine makers.
What's in the POH/ is what is sensible. There's no black magic.

Yet another "unique Australian" limitation, which is not justified.