PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAR PPL (H) to FAA (H)
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2006, 20:35
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightning_Boy
So the foreign licence we are talking about would be the FAA one. So even if the licence (certificate) does not expire, you cannot use it after 6 months as the validation letter has expired? This letter would need to be revalidated to enable you to fly, so from what I can make of that is, your flying rights are only valid for 6 months??
OK, this is getting confusing----The regulation I posted was FAR 61.75, for obtaining a US license based upon a "Foreign" license, i.e. the CAA is the foreign license. In order to get the FAA license, you are required to have a letter which validates your CAA license---this letter is the one that is valid for 6 months. If you take the letter, BEFORE it expires, to an FAA office along with your CAA license and a form 8710 (FAA airman application form), they will issue you with an FAA private license valid as long as you maintain the CAA license. If your CAA license expires---so does your FAA license. As i stated in my previous post---this could be subject to change---we will find out Monday.