PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The rubbish taught by flying instructors.
Old 6th Dec 2006, 00:44
Miraz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a pre-GFPT numpty doing my basic training - I travel a lot for business, so I am splitting my training between two flying schools, which means that I am flying with multiple instructors, under different CFI's, etc...

In both cases the instructors expect the printed checklists to be followed for ground checks and standardised nemonic rote-type checklists to be used in the air.
(as a side comment - Only one of the schools expects the aircraft to be leaned on the ground, or in the circuit)

Is this something that is also commonly practiced by career instructors, as opposed to those that are instructing primarily as a means of building hours and moving on?

What are the examiners looking for at this level of experience?

I have some previous flying experience - albeit with sailplanes, and that was some time ago now. Nmenonic checks were taught as a means of self-checking the completeness of your checks, not as the means of performing the checks or reconfiguring the aircraft. I have been ticked off a few times by the instructors for using this approach for powered flight.