PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Worst C172 Landings...
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2006, 00:25
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by PPL152
Wind Up Turn,

I had problems 1, 2 and 4 for sure. Regarding 1, how d'ya know the power setting for 40 flap and correct trim setting, I never came across such data (e.g. tables or stuff)?

Another factor I could add is that the runway starts off with an up slope and then sharply goes downslope - but didn't affect me with C152. Yeah I surely need some more practice on those landings but as you said - it just won't be the day.

I was practicing short-field initially, but didn't as I found out I need to practice landings!! Mentioning short field, can anyone confirm the minimum speed for takeoff with 10 degree flaps, is it 50 to 55 MPH?
Hmm, I suspect that our friend Wind_Up_Turn is a bit more knowledgeable than he claims to be - I know what a WUT is, but it's not knowledge you'd associate with many PPLs ! I should listen to him.

Anyhow, important thing - approach speed. It's in the manual (I'd hesitate to say what I think it is, because there are so many subtle variations of C172 - so look in the manual for the aircraft you are flying). [Same applies to any other speed, do not take anybody here's word for it, nor any proprietary checklist - USE THE BOOK THAT HAS "CESSNA" AND THE RIGHT REGISTRATION ON THE FRONT.]

Next, for the right approach speed / flap setting, get the pitch attitude right. If you fly a consistent (and correct) attitude until the roundout, most other things will slot into place.

Trim setting - you don't need tables, trim so that the aircraft flies the right approach speed / pitch attitude hands off, if you don't, you are just creating work for yourself, and increasing the risk of getting the wrong pitch attitude when workload goes up near the ground / doing RT / etc.

Finally - set power to give you the touchdown point - if speed and attitude are right, and the aeroplane is trimmed, then tweak power to keep your touchdown point stationary in your field of view.

And finally, it's a VFR aeroplane with a reasonable view and plenty of attitude / feel cues - try and get a feel for it, don't try to fly by numbers - it'll do you no favours. I'm sure, like the rest of us, when learning you got shouted at for fixating at the dials (I'm sure that I did anyhow) - there was a reason for that. This is particularly true in the roundout and flare, the C172 is not designed to be flown by the numbers - feel the ground effect, feel the (large!) stick force, and keep easing it back just off the ground until it lands itself - do not tell it when to land, let it tell you.

G