PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Astana
Thread: Air Astana
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2006, 06:44
alexb757

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borat would want you to try this national airline..

Originally Posted by Capt Chambo
I wasn't going to mention the agency in my previous post for fear of it being seen as "advertising".
Direct personnel are indeed the agents, and the salary for a Captain is as per my previous post. F/O are being offered Euro 3700 per month and a Euro 50 per diem.
Not enough IMHO.
Have to agree with previous comments and yes, Direct have been advertising these openings for over 1 year now.....on and off and occasionally with the sidebar "new and improved terms and conditions"! That can only mean one thing and usually I avoid contracts like that with a large barge pole.
In the military there used to be a term for extra payment for folks being posted to out-of-ordinary places that were not the best and therefore not very popular with the troops. It was called hard-lying money and offered as an incentive to take the posting or make it easier once you got there.
I'm sure Kazahkstan is a nice, developing country and there are opportunities there and other parts of Central Asia. However, you DO need to do your research carefully and ask LOTS of questions. The rate at which these are answered (whether by agency or airline itslef) will provide a valuable clue on what you can expect once you have signed and are there.
This job was not for me nor for many of my fellow colleagues as the remuneration package was no where near what would represent the sacrifice in leaving one position to an unknown environment with limited benefits and relatively isolated part of the world.
There is some truth to the Borat stories.....go find out if you want. Really depends on indivdual circumstances and if you are young and hungry for hours, it's probably a good place to build experience. Career move? I don't think so.
Good luck to those that go, enjoy!