PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is my question "too strange"!!!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2006, 04:33
FlugWeasel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance Questions

Originally Posted by i_can_fly
i'm going to start my training in an aviation school.
Before applying, i've asked that aviation school about the "insurance details".....
1) do i need to pay the insurance for the aircraft?
2) what does the insurance cover for?
3) If i died/ injured during training, how much can i/my family claim from the insurance?
There are the answers i've got:
1) the school has already paid for the insurance once the aircraft flying....
2) the insurance will cover the "whole aircraft" --> included the pilot and passengers.....
3) they don't like to provide me the details!!!
Is my question "too strange"!!!
Not a strange question. Something most people just dont think about.
1.You dont need to pay insurance separately. It is included in the rate the school is charging you for the training.
2.The coverage varies but is for the ACFT and the pilot & passenges. The key coverage for you is third party cover to cover you for crashing into something expensive. This should limit the exposure of your family to have the pay for anything in your absence.
3.Usually nothing without suing the operator or some other entity for negligence (if that were a factor). You would need separate life, disability, income protection insurance etc. You will usually (but not always) need to disclose your flying activities on a life insurance policy (as per remoak's comments).
If you are really concerned I would suggest you speak to an aviation insurance broker, or better still the broker that wrote the business for your school.
I can point you to some policy boilerplate if you want to see what a typical policy looks like - PM me if you want some more info.