PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Oz Blackhawk Reported Crashed Into Sea Near Fiji
Old 1st Dec 2006, 19:19
Ogsplash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seahawk - no floats?

Hey Nick,

When did the USN remove the floats? The RAN 70B2 still has them with the standoffs fitted to provide room between the forward excape hatches and the floats. I remember there was a problem initially with the floats inflating and covering the escape hatch because of the way the aircraft sat in the water (assuming it was a controlled ditching).

To other things....I too was getting pretty p*****d off with the media reporting and trying to focus on the Black Hawk. All the accidents in the ADF have had human factors contributing - not one has been an aircraft malfunction. Indeed, it is a true tribute to the aircraft and its designers that so many have survived these accidents and I wish the media would focus on that for once.

I've many hours in the Seahawk and it is the helicopter to measure all others by. Great control response, tons of power, lots of redundancy and built like the proverbial brick ****ehouse. I love it and I have felt so secure in it in the manu hours and crap conditions I have flown it in....as has many other naval aviatiors.

The Black Hawk is no different except the undercarraige has a very different design. Was this a factor? Well, that's why we have accident investigations and best left to the guys and gals to figure out what happened and how it happened. All I will say is that the environment is pretty unforgiving and often tests the ability of pilots. I trust the 'fly by wire' system of the NH90 will be able to keep up with the turbulence, ship motion and the variability of pilot inputs to keep up with it all....

HUET...it's a life saver and the ADF has invested huge amounts of money in training its people in HUET and continues to do so.

In the end, we put the serviceman in harms way to do a job...that's why we pay them and they accept the challenge. It can be very satisfying but every so often, something goes wrong after all, we are talking about machines and humans. Unlike a ship or a tank, when something goes wrong, we just can't stop...we want our defence forces to be risk aware NOT risk averse which is where the media and families would like to take it I'm sure. Sure, if there is blatant negligence, then action should be taken but everytime something happens in the ADF, the lawyers and the media swarm like vultures. If we're not careful, we are going to raise a bunch of 'leaders' who will be afraid to make brave decisions because of fear of persecution or litigation. There needs to be a balance.

So,in finishing my rant....I have no doubt in my mind that the guys and gals flying our defence helicopters whether at sea or over land are doing a sterling job usually in trying conditions and circumstances. Sometime things go wrong but machines break and to err is human. We just need to learn from each event to see if we can minimise the chances of it happening again. Families, your loved ones joined in the full knowledge that this is a risky business. Be happy in the knowledge that they are doing something gives thems satisfaction and that 'sense of adventure' so lacking in today's controlled life. We see many kids these days wanting no more than to be part of the Latte' set so those who are prepared to get out and be challenged should be praised.

Bingey's wife is sterling and has remembered her husband in the way I think he would want to be remembered. To all, condolences for the loss of loved ones but be comforted in the knowledge that they were serving their country and its citizens with honour (old fashion values ... hmmm, what a unique idea).

Again, sorry all, rant over!!!