PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why Daddy, why?
Thread: Why Daddy, why?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2006, 21:23
Hong Kong Fuey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not A Boffin was close, but 228 OCU has hit the nail on the head.
Flat Top superstructure is built on the right to assist a dead pilot in not hitting said structure. When the proverbial hits the fan, it is not only easier, but in physiological terms automatic to clench into a foetal position rather than open up and accept what's coming. This may sound rather callous, but when flying an aircraft to a carrier (with the vast majority of aircraft being flown with ones right hand on the stick), it is rather preferential to have nothing between the crash and the ogsplosh if things go wrong. The Admiral would probably agree.
As an aside, it was quickly learnt in WW1 (and re-learnt in WW2, Korea, Vietnam etc...) that the majority of pilots would break left when bounced. This knowledge was used to great effect by Adolf Galland for one. Personally, I have tried to teach myself to break right if this ever happenned to me. Never had the opportunity, though, as any bandit always seems to appear in front of me, rather than behind. Still, if the opportunity arises, I know which way I'm going !