PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia - NSW rescue helicopters services, uncertain of future!
Old 29th Nov 2006, 05:05
sunnywa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an interested observer, it would seem to me that unless there is something drastically wrong with the current system, why would the NSW Govt want to change it? If they are unhappy with some of the operations, then they should be given time to put a fix in place to overcome these problems. It seems to me that Careflight et al have been doing a pretty good job over the last 20-30 years, and with their improving rescue/EMS services, they will most likely give good service over the next 20 (if allowed).

As I work for a goverment department that is extremely frugal (shall we say), it seems strange that the NSW govt is going to (possibly) take away operators that are locally funded and give it all to someone else (CHC or someone else) and that will all cost big bucks out of the government coffers (I don't think the chook raffles will go ahead if the Westpac gets replaced). Normally a govt department is after the cheapest option, but surprises happen.

If the govt wanted to have a single operator, then they should do the QES option of them owning and operating their own aircraft and crew. If they set it up right, it would be cheaper to run and they own the assets to manage as they like. Bit like renting a house when you can own one.

As it stands, the status quo is working so why play with it.