PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Pilots view of TWA Pilot merger.
Old 12th Aug 2001, 06:40
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Interesting comments, and I am not with either TWA nor AMR. My intention with the original topic question was not to provoke anyone personally, just find out how people feel and try to see if their thinking could take place with sort of objective detachment-which seems impossible for many (maybe for me too?), as I had suspected. It also happened to many in our merger, and the pilot arbitration lasted a few years.

My main question is this: at which levels of corporate debt are the pilots to be held accountable for the degrees of bankruptcy or near bankruptcy? Regarding financial health, debt-to-equity etc, as an example, how unhealthy should MY airline be in order for me to be expected to go the bottom of a seniority list, in order to let a 6-year FO go ahead of a 15-25 year FO, when both want to bid captain on a narrowbody jet, which both were very close to holding with their respective companies, before a merger was announced?

Should corporate health be ranked with ten degrees, with the uppermost (as if it were all to the pilots credit or discredit) level allowing strict seniority with several years of seat protection?

Come on guys and gals, does the Golden Rule only apply to those whose companies were not either: mismanaged and/or drained of cash (via many assets sold...) by Mr Icahn or Lorenzo? Why are the pilots held responsible for what the greedy sharks do? Apparently, line pilots subconsciously become upper mgmt VPs in a merger, in order to justify their own expectations.

[ 12 August 2001: Message edited by: Ignition Override ]