PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nationwide current issues (threads merged)
Old 28th Nov 2006, 14:05
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I give in to the temptation! Here's my original response, shooting from the hip:

Originally Posted by four engine jock
Never bite the hands that feeds you!!! Thats what I say.
But at NW there are to many flight crew spending most of there time crying for more money.
ASK NOT WHAT YOUR NW CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR NW!!!
Mr VB has been in the Airline Business a long time. And he will still be in Business long time after all the cry babies are gone.
Be carefull guys its hard out there in dark africa.
The grass always looks greener on the other side but its not.
keep the blue sky up!!!!
OVER AND OUT!
Oh, you were being serious! I'll bite! In cases like this, I would normally ask "Whats the atmosphere like - UP YOUR OWN ASS?!", but last time I got banned for that, so I won't ask you that! (Yes 4HP, my inbuilt EGPWS is saying 'Caution - Terrain ahead!')
Amazingly enough, almost every single one of your sentences is out of touch with reality, ie just plain wrong. I'm giving you credit for the "Be carefull guys its hard out there in dark africa" (sic), since I do agree with that one (been there for several years).
Let me explain:
Never bite the hands that feeds you!!! Thats what I say.
So do a lot of people, myself included. Thats why nobodies biting anybody (unless you count the crew being bitten in the ass by Nwide).
But at NW there are to many flight crew spending most of there time crying for more money.
Actually, they're too busy flying to the absolute legal limit. Let me try and explain things another way: If you got told by your company that you would be doing the same job as now, just for 1/3 of the salary, would you complain? If yes, you must be some kind of whiner (by your logic)! If no, you must be some kind of loser (my opinion).
ASK NOT WHAT YOUR NW CAN DO FOR YOU BUT WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR NW!!!
As I said, flying to the absolute legal limit, accepting work on non-required (but scheduled) off days at the last moment despite whatever plans they may have had, trying to work with rostering/HR induced chaos come what may, etc. All at well below an industry average salary. And they still manage to smile! If that's not enough for you, you must be an aviation manager. And I mean that in the worst possible way. To add: Yes, I know thats not like contract work. I've done that. But nobody wants to live their lives like that, and it's also just not comparable to the alternatives out there in the local industry.
Mr VB has been in the Airline Business a long time. And he will still be in Business long time after all the cry babies are gone.
10 years or so is hardly a long time. And there are plenty of airlines a lot older that have folded or are experiencing harsh financial times. Allowing your aircraft to be grounded over the holiday season by a crew shortage can only be layed at the feet of management I'm afraid. Or having to hire contract crewmembers at crippling international rates instead of just paying your own guys a decent salary, etc etc.
The grass always looks greener on the other side but its not.
keep the blue sky up!!!!
Actually, the grass IS greener on the other side in this case, as reported by many of the crew who've left, and are busy leaving.
Ok, ok, I'll give you half a point for the bit about the blue sky! That's 1.5 out of 7, well done!