PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Average UK GA PPL?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2006, 09:44
tonyhalsall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK - £25,000 a year then. That is still £2,000 / month off the bottom end of your payslip or balance sheet after tax and you will most certainly be in a minority to be able to afford that as readily disposable income.
There is an incorrect perception that flying is a rich mans hobby and certainly if you can blow £2,000 / month on it then you fit the perception and I am sure that I am not alone in saying that I envy you and I don't think that you are typical.
I would say that I am pretty average - I earn a reasonable income but I have a mortgage and I have children both of my own and those of my new partner and I have child support payments not to mention the time committments associated with work and family. I reckon that 25 hours is about average because it enables pleasure flying to fit in financially and time wise with all of my other committments.
Ironically this year I may well achieve 40 hours but this will be the highest number of hours in one year that I have ever achieved and it is not cost this year which will limit me, just time to fit flying in around everything else.