PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drama of Dresden- History Channel, Friday, Dec 1st
Old 28th Nov 2006, 08:29
kevmusic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see your point Genghis; in fact you seem to have a more informed point of view on Dresden than me. And I'm not denying the fact that awful carnage took place thre that night. But if you try to catch any programmes about the bombing campaign over Germany, and this was your only source of information on the subject, you could be forgiven for thinking that the RAF came up with the great idea of doing nothing but bomb defenceless German civilians and bending all its mighty resources to this one inhuman cause. Very little is mentioned of the efforts to bomb factories and infrastructure; much less, the fact that the gloves were off in 1940 when the Germans bombed Rotterdam, Portsmouth, London, Coventry et al. Can you imagine what would have happened to our cities if the Germans had had thousands of Lancasters?

The media situation is currently very unbalanced away from sympathies for the bomber crews, and I really feel it is grossly unfair.