PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nationwide current issues (threads merged)
Old 28th Nov 2006, 07:01
Deskjocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never bite the hands that feeds you!!! Thats what I say.
But at NW there are to many flight crew spending most of there time crying for more money.
Your loyalty is admirable, if you are prepared to subjugate your -and more importantly your family’s- financial future so that ol Uncle Vern can buy a new racing Porsche then good for you!

Something that is coming clearly out in this forum over the last few weeks is that there is a lot of crew getting shafted by certain local airlines- this is all good and well when the labour market is stagnant but right now its not and these carriers are going to pay a dear price for their behaviour. My guess is that there will probably be between 60 and 80 jet positions becoming available next year in the local market- there is no doubt in my mind where these candidates will come from.

The lesson to be learnt is as an employer, flight deck loyalty will come from 3 things:
1-Fair market related remuneration with full benefits like pension and medical aid.
2-An organised operational infrastructure where rostering is predicable and transparent. Flight and Duty limits are respected and planned for. Days off are exactly that.
3-Clearly defined career pathing where seniority coupled to ability will dictate who gets promoted. Keep nepotism out at all costs.

Im sure there is more but if you have the above in place then I doubt you are going to have much turn over in your ranks which in turn is going to drive costs down.