PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crossing the English Channel in a SEP
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2006, 09:02
chuns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denhamflyer
thanks chuns it does help.

The list you give is quite extensive - e.g radar reflector. I would be interested in your comments on a typical Light Aircraft liferaft and its bits. Remember we typically have a small door with which to espace and carry the life raft thru.

(see http://www.survivalproductsinc.com/fourman.htm)
I absolutely understand the constraints of weight and volume/bulk. I also acknowledge that at some point the cost and impracticality will have to be offered up against the probabilty of an incident over water. The list I gave is a good stab at ensuring survival, though there are no hard and fast rules that I have been able to find since I became involved here. Under those circumstances the responsibilty, and the decision about equipment, has to rest with the skipper/pilot.

If you were not to carry everything I suggested, it does not mean that you won't survive, it is just that you are making certain. How many of us have said "I wish I'd....etc" because we'd decided not do something that we came to realise we needed to have done?

Remember the two criteria - 1. Survive. 2. Be found. Enhance the liklihood of both.

I had a look at the raft you indicated. The words "unapproved" jumped off the page at me, but equally it may not meet some technical standard that is irrelevant. I would say anything is better than nothing, it certainly is small and light.

You mention in your priority list a survival suit at #3. If we are still considering the Channel, and your raft has TPAs, you don't really need one.

And to all of the posters on this forum - what a nice bunch of people you are, a pleasure to engage with, and to debate a serious topic. If ever I can help in any other way, do contact me - I am easily found at the RNLI.

I also had a couple of offers to join members on a flight - thank you, I'd love to be able do that.

All the best

Peter