PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPLs playing CPLs
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2006, 05:53
perfrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A simple poll...

Originally Posted by Watchoutbelow
I don’t think many ppl holders will ever turn down the opportunity to be paid to fly, I have even heard of PPls approaching owners in neatly ironed shirts with epaulettes, offering to do it for cheaper then the CPLs that they employ, sadly its rampant.
Again a reference to PPLs with "pilot gear" on posing as professionals. Can we try to get some statistics in place, for instance by simple poll.

I know of one (prosecuted) case where a PPL holder actually flew paying passengers in the company that he owned - and got nailed. This is BAD, and nailing is GOOD.

I, for my part, own a military flight overall and an Alpha helmet. Sometimes when I fly - perhaps a ferry flight where I pay the costs surrounding the venture but not the owner of the helicopter - I will use this "costume" because it offers a good noise environment and fire protection along with the fact that I can bump my head against the side of the cabin with no hazard.

When I re-fuel and meet one of you hard-headed types , would you consider me as posing as one of you? And I'm not talking about passengers here.

Regardless what some say, this is a very grey area. I have difficulties seing authorities deciding what is rewarding to me, and I have difficulties seing even possibilities of defining lines to cross or not to cross.

I will have to resort to my own judgement - both in flying the thing and in handling the situations surrounding it. I CANNOT accept payment for anything, and I need to share costs with my friends or their friend when they come along. Just as I am sharing the joy if I bring a non-pilot (or pilor for that matter) friend along for a ferry flight that I perform without pay.

That said, anyone posing as a CPL with PPL papers SHOULD be nailed. Forums like this one have the good quality of inspiring the debate, so maybe we will see improvement eventually (if need be).

So, back to the poll...

I know of the case I mentioned, and know of people breaking other rules as well:

- Flying paying passengers with CPL(H) but without AOC
- Flying passengers for pay at night over a city area in a single engined helicopter (CPL(H) in place)
- Flying passengers for pay with CPL, on a type that is in the AOC but with an individual aircraft that is not in itselt the AOC

Which is worse?

Oh, and I do agree that this is a very interesting and enlightning (sometimes discuraging) discussion). Keep it coming!

All the best for now!

/perfrej (PPL(H) for ten years)