PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 25th Nov 2006, 14:06
Chukkablade

At the end of the day Helilad, I'll be one of those guys who spend the £40k+ and give it a go, but Im damn sure going into it with high hopes and low expectations. It's a lottery, and if I dont buy a ticket, I can't win, and thats a fair comparison as to how I view this game. If my face fits someday I'll get my chance, but I accept I'll be one of the many chasing (it would seem) fewer and fewer positions.

Listening to the older guys who a) were never military trained and who did it the civvy way and b) dont have an ulterior motive for painting it all smiles and warm crew rooms, then one consistent theme is that you have to be damned lucky, and be prepared to accept a few hard knockbacks along the way. Also, if you have another trade to fall back on, keep your contacts in that industry, as you may have a few hard winters to endure before the sun finally shines on you. That's advice I recieved from a CPL(H) who was working as a used car salesman the last time I saw him just to make ends meet, and I'm not about to forget it.

My opinion, for the very little its worth, is that any newby who thinks the above 'hard knock' scenarios dont apply to them has so far led a very fortunate, priveledged life - and those tend to come to grinding halts at some point along route.

In the end though, SOMEDAY, it should all be worth it If not, at least I can tell my kids I tried.