PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What are the job prospects for new CPLs? (MERGED)
Old 25th Nov 2006, 06:28
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love going to work. I loved teaching people to fly. I risked everything and my gamble paid off. It doesn't change the fact that it was still a gamble.
This about says it all. There are many in this position. But for every one whose gamble paid off, there are probably ten still struggling.

Having got my CPL and FI rating, I struggled to get a flying job where I wasn't bullied and treated like **** or spending more on travelling than I was earning. Due to luck and contacts I had a good summer this year (thanks KMS ). But now? One to two hours instructing per day, weather permitting. I'd earn more working in Tesco! Even my very experienced CFI warned me that I'd probably need another string to my bow over winter. Yes, there may be the very occasional school or FI with oodles of work; I'm not saying anyone on here is lying...please tell me where though. But occasional luck isn't to be relied on when considering a career change, any more than assuming you'll win the lottery because a lucky few do. Kissmysquirrel and Flingingwings tell it like it is; believe them!

Talking of second strings to bows, one of mine is writing about what I love, as many of you know. I don't normally blow my own trumpet, but I've just had an article published in Flight Training News on this subject - opportunities in the industry. I'm not saying it's all spot on, but it might help some of you newbies, so may be worth taking a look. (And I did most of the research for it on PPRuNe, so thanks to many of you. )