PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cl-44-o and swingtail merged
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 16:57
The AvgasDinosaur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Midland 331
Hmm... I'm not sure about the last bit, having lived near EMA for a few years...controllers used to give Merchantmen their own noise abatement tracks if working on easterly departures.
Avgas Dinosaur - did three RB211s on an Albert bring it somewhere near to MTOW for a sector like EMA-REK? I seem to recall some very long rolls at EMA, even in sub-zero temperatures.
r
I can't really answer that one I have no idea what an RB-211 on its trolly weighed. I am however quite prepared to believe that Saturn got a very serious discount on their Herks, the basic maths never added up as the fuel burn on a Herk is greater than the Guppy and you got three RB-211s on each Herk flight whereas 5 per flight was planned for the CL-44O. 5 Herks to get 15 engines to Palmdale or 3 CL-44 Os to do the same You figure it out. Except of course look who the RB-211s were for Lockheed Corporation Tristarsand who makes Hercules?Lockheed Corporation I dont think Jack Conroy ever saw a level playing field much less got to play on one.
Be lucky
David
Perhaps one of our Derby based contributors can throw some light on the weight angle ?