PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How employable are Instructors?
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2006, 01:47
Monopole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ITS GOING TO GET THICK AND DEEP!!!
pakeha, are you refering to the previous post

Wdn, no offence, but if you are yet to gain a CPL, then this fight is not yours

I've done both, and consider myself reasonably experienced at both. When I started charter after instructing, I thought I new it all. My work colleges, most of which were a third of my age and a third of my experience (total time) quickly taught me otherwise. I actually learnt something from someone who was once MY student. I made a few mistakes that someone with my time should not have and after a little bit of ridiculing and a few beers, I think I became a better Charter pilot for it. I also know that some of these Charter pilots learnt something from me.

The two are worlds apart, but also very similar. If you play by the rules neither are as dangerous as the other. Point in case:

(nothing personal ContactMeNow, just an example)

I remember a time when I was doing my ME_CIR and we flew into a cloud and got very mild icing as a result of it, the instructor was crapping themselves, "Oh my god, we are icing up!" this resulting in a decent to LSALT
As someone doing a rating, you don't yet have the experience to make a differant call to the instructor. You may question him in my opinion. You may request a differant instructor if you dont have confidence in him, however as an Instructor I to would have descended. Most light GA twins don't have any anti icing gear, therfore the AFM states flight in KNOWN ICING conditions are forbidden.
Ok, it may have seemed excessive at the time, and in hindsight you may still think it's excessive, but an Instructor has to impress the student with the rules and regs aswell.

Charter is a different situation, you can find yourself in a tight spot that is not of your own making, and it is how you deal with it that determines whether you survive the experience or not
I really cant swallow this one. I have never found myself in such a spot. I have never, and I dont think anyone should have to break a rule to get them out of trouble (unless you are trying to hide your mistake). That being said I found myself in a bit of a spot the other day, but I dealt with the problem (by the rules) and noone is any the wiser. Another lesson learnt that has made me a better pilot.

Instructing has its moments as does Charter, but remember
1000 hours of CCTS = the same hour 1000 times, but
1000 hours of scenics = the same hour 1000 times also

Mono