PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 4
Thread: CORK - 4
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 22:55
runawayedge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Ryanair are not paying full charges on CRK/DUB at both Dublin and Cork it raises some interesting questions. From the Cork Airport route support scheme it clearly states that an existing route is not a qualifying route if the route has already been served within the previous 12 months at a frequency higher than 2 services per week on a year round basis. So, if FR are not paying full charges at both Dublin and Cork, why? and how is it justified? does it conform with EU legislation? Assuming they are paying full whack, and after the Easy debacle, and the demise of CSA and the introduction of EI would it not be in the airport's best interest to introduce some sort of measures to protect existing carriers (obviously conforming with anti competition regs) on routes if they are performing rather than allow ridiculous short time competition that may ultimately destroy the route. I understand that competition is healthy, but there are times it is not. Thankfully RE are doing well and seem to be winning out, but were FR to be victorious I can guarantee frequency would be slashed, and who's the loser? the airport, pax and the region. CAA have to realise that there is a limit to what its catchment area will support on any given route, and maybe even recognise what RE have done for CRK over the last number of years, and dare I suggest it arrive at a strategy for route development instead of groping in the dark!