PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL(H) is equal to a PHD
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2006, 22:38
FairWeatherFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dangagan
What is the UK academic equivalent of a UK CAA ATPL(H). Is it equal to or less than a Bsc, Msc or Phd. Any references will be appreciated
Was your question about an ATPL(H) or the ATPL(H) exams, one involves an additional chunk of practical work? If latter is through employment then the comparison is more akin to a sandwich course. Note, both require convcing someone to employ/sponsor you for some period of time.
I'm on second half of ATPL(H) exams at the moment. The structure of the distance learning course makes it difficult as you are doing so many subjects that are examined over a short period. Individually, they would be far easier and I wonder how the JAA/CAA system will evolve if it becomes computerised - this would make it easier to invigilate the examinee's choice of exam.
As others have commented, BSc's vary widely in quality between country, institution, subject and final grade achieved. The ATPL(H) exams have no grading except pass/fail (there are some issues i don't know about here with future employer's interest in this).
There's also a (grading or CV) penalty with degrees or A-levels in doing resits which i don't think is necessarily there for ATPL(H) exams, bar the 60 quid and time factor? That is going to leave more scope for gambling on getting the pass mark and give the impression that they are easier.
I found Bristol ground school to be very good for 'making' you pass the exams. They are not there to teach the syllabus or subject during the 2 week brush-up course, they are very focused on preparing you for the exam. I don't think universities have a direct equivalent to this (maybe sloppy use of past questions or private/1:1 tuition?).
So, i don't believe you'll find an easy equivalence! The nearest thing to a comparison i can draw is study time. My personal estimate of study time would be around 450-500hrs of intense study for ATPL(H). For my (respectable) science BSc, a wild guesstimate would be a surprising-to-me 3000hrs. Apply a realistic 50% attention span for lectures and it comes down to 2000hrs
(UK) MSc's vary big-time according to teaching vs research content, conversion courses, and whether it's the student's BSc field. Plus they have a very limited grade structure so they're useless for comparion.
Don't have a PhD so can't speak on that, yet...