PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA - Common Issues
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2006, 16:00
geordi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flybywire
PS:Sarah....I have had an ARI and took my better half in with me who wrote down, word by word, all what the lady who wanted to offer me "support" said.....it's all crap I can assure you. She agreed with me (I would say she agreed with herself) an "improvement plan" which basically was "You cannot be sick anymore for the next 12 months. If you are, then you'll be in the " Mr FBW was beside himself and has been actively trying to shake things since then (with little success unfortunately!)...

So I asked Jackie the "supporter" if she wanted to review my whole attendance history since it is an Attendance Review Interview and asked her to get my file and start reading it, but she pretended not to listen. Let's just say I sent letters to my PM, her manager and Suzanne Stass....surprise surprise still waiting for a reply but at least it's all black on white.

That day, with all my heart I said to Mr FBW: "I cannot take this anymore, either you get me preggers soon, or I will leave BA!"
The UK has a very nice group of people called the Health and Safety Executive.... their rules and legislation is pretty firm....

I suggest that someone gives them a tingle, eg in your specific case - demonstrate that you had a validated sick leave, were sick and attending to work during this period would have put you and pax and other crew at risk.... that BA is discriminating against you based on this "disability" and in the meetings above is adversely affect the H&S of yourself and other crew.... that the cabin is your workplace, etc...

I am actually surprised that the inflight safety dept hasn't discussed this with the leave team.... i am a safety manager, and had similar discussions when our leave teams tried to pull something similar!

We now conduct safety investigations where possible, and under just culture, if the reason for the injury/incident was inadvertent then leave team is told to back off.... likewise for sicknesses, we tell the leave team to conduct investigations not just go on raw numbers.... we also spot review to ensure they're not harrassing crew...

suggest put a rocket up the safety team's backside - they're supposed to help company AND crew!
But first hand part of problem is some crew abuse company provisions and call in sick regularly.... we all need to work together to solve this,

ALSO ALSO ALSO - UK HSE need to be involved because you have firm provisions for consultation where changes affect the health and safety of crew - this falls into that provisions... also applies in Australia btw...

suggest call or write to the HSE and lodge formal complaint anti-discrimination people...