PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - B737
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2006, 11:50
Mercenary Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi first_solo I guess it all depends on where you are up to in your career.

I wouldn't let the SP/IR lapse. I'm guessing you are a low timer looking for a first job so the SP/IR is invaluable, alot of light aircraft owners like to have access to an Instrument rated pilot for trips abroad. So in that respect it would be good to keep you SEP valid also.

Personally I don't fly singles anymore, if I want to go for a jolly I have access to a brand new twin for cost (lucky guy right?). I think its daft that the MEP renewal doesn't cover SEP but thats just me.

I have 2 type ratings but I don't get to fly the 737 at the moment() so I probably won't renew it. As long as I go for a sim check in the next 5 years (which I will because I had to pay) or 7 years if I don't mind doing the tech exam again it will stay on my licence.

I don't think any potential employers would be that bothered if your rating wasn't current, I can't imagine the cost of a sim check would stretch their budget too much.

The rules are due to change in respect to IR's. In the future, a MP/IR checks will also renew you SP/IR but until then sadly you will have you have to do them seperatly. Just as a side note, when this rule comes in, it would work out cheaper for me to renew everything in a 737 sim rather than an FNPT2!