PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australia - NSW rescue helicopters services, uncertain of future!
Old 16th Nov 2006, 10:28
tactical71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well this seems to have stirred up some differing opinions which is always good to debate.
Some interesting opinions too.
Firstly, I must say that I agree that as a community funded operator, they have good close links to the community. 2/3rds of their operating costs are from donations and sponsors. And I dont think that having a sponsors logo on your machine detracts from the professionalism of the crew operating it. So, a single operator will cost more and we will always end up footing the bill.
As for the mention of someone reaping in the money from the community sponsored operators, Id certainly like to know WHO. As you said, the pilots and crew certainly dont see it. And as a community supported operation, I dare say that anyone funnelling money into their pocket would not last long in one of these organisations.
I dont see what the issue is. Where is the problem that requires the solution of one service. Both Lifesaver and Careflight all have at least 1 back up machine and both have made commitments to get at least another 1 each. There is definately no questioning of the skill and ability of the crews, so where is the problem.
Like Land/Motor Vehicle/Vertical Rescue in NSW, it is split between numerous agencies. Some fully Government funded and others community based and funded. This may not be the best method, but if it works why is there a need to change it to an option that may not be the best option.
Only time will tell.
Cheers
Angus
PS for those of you wanting to know some history of these services, read Helicopter Rescue, by Dr. Ken Wishaw, Australia's first fulltime helicopter Doctor. Its a good read and some great old photos too.