PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Landing with engine only after control failure.
Old 16th Nov 2006, 04:18
W.R.A.I.T.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sir.pratt
and would have sought the documentaries
There's been a great movie about the United DC-10, can't remember the name though..and the landing itself was taped too, go google. Got it, but not here with me.

Those poor sods had hit the crap in full measure with rudder getting jammed in an off centre position and forcing the plane into a constant rate of turn. They balanced it with differential thrust (I think this was actually done by a check captain riding on the jumpseat), but not turn the other way round. So instead of right turn to Sioux city of about 30 degs they had to make a near complete circle to the left, and not sure if not more of them. Then at no flap landing way over 200 kts all went well until they had to reduce power in an attempt to flare. The jammed rudder prevailed, banked the craft to the left, struck the runway with a wingtip and landed side up, tearing in pieces as it rolled down. In the end about 150 fatalities, including the f/d.

The JAL smashed just below the tip of a mountain into a dense forest, barely accessible, at night and I think it was raining too. Still the SAR made it very quick and managed to save some folks. Japanese public went mad then and demanded Boeing CEO (whom I can't remember at all) to resign and commit a suicide, so I've been told.

Last edited by W.R.A.I.T.H; 16th Nov 2006 at 04:19. Reason: lost for words