PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: From Design to Operations
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2006, 03:02
charron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
212man??? am I missing something with your preferred PFD? What's with the HSI?

Why are you guys so sentimental about interpreting images? If I was sarcastic I'd be asking why instead of a round HSI with a trackbar and pointers don't you just display an image of a magnetized needle floating on cork on that fancy LCD screen.

With a little experience most pilots have graduated to navigating from an arc or map display. Really, what you want to know is where you are and where you are going and what else is around you. The HSI was a mechanical instrument to help you do that by giving you a number of clues from which you could take your finger and put it on a paper map. Now you can just look at a map image with a GPS finger pointing to your position within 10 meters, relative to your route and destination and any terrain, and yet you still want to look at that needle on the cork.

Here's what the poor unwashed that are still flying Jetrangers have to look at. They don't even care about an HSI because they've realized that it is just an inferior horizonal presentation and there are a lot of superior and cheaper ways to do that. Maybe someday you will catch up with your S92 or EC225.

Charon