PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF S/O gripe site
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 2006, 01:26
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Ah yes, there have been a number of crew who have pointed out the contrasting manners of both CA and DCP. As Gary points out there is a significant difference between questioning the equipment you've got (and the capabilities of those who do the ordering) and directly commenting on immediate superiors.

However I think the correct response by QF should be to acknowledge a few home truths.

1. QF has captains that are obviously so far outside the 'norms' that the rest of us operate by that they are talked about. This web site was just a new way of doing this. Previous versions include the bar, the telephone, CRM days (no names normally though) and any other place where more than one pilot was present.

2. The fact that crew continue to use the grape vine and don't utilise the chain of command could indicate that many crew have little faith in the chain of command to either pay attention or do anything about it if it is used.

Having made those acknowledgements the correct responses would be to actually have a look at our crew who are outside the 'norms' and try and ensure that crew have confidence in the system they have to speak up about crew that are outside the norms.

I'd like to consider a letter to all crew in response to my colleagues to address some of the reasons why such a web site would exist to start off with. Unfortunately I feel that would put a very large target smack in the middle of my chest- larger and more difficult to hide than the small one which is already there which I do manage to hide most of the time. Perhaps is the most significant issue of all and highlights the different between the approach of people like CDF and CA compared with QF.

Perhaps it also says something that I'm very conscious that many in QF know who 'Keg' is and that even by posting this the target may have gotten bigger and harder to hide already. My crime is not so much in what I think but that I have the temerity to say it. Some would also consider it a state crime that I chose/choose to say it here and keep it all in house. For those that do think I've stepped over the line then you obviously weren't listening over the past few years when I have been saying stuff in house.