PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF S/O gripe site
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2006, 22:03
Scooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good posting Keg but if I may add to this, CX has/had a few tyrants similar to QF over the years.

The Deputy Chief Pilot of Qantas is right in some respects, but fails to recognise that in the real world respect is earned, not demanded.
He seems to come from an era (probably an ex cadet) where S/O's were mistreated and had little respect from what were probably ex WWII drivers that did it tough so to speak.

To make comments about not standing next to one of these contributors seems tantamount to the fact that some of his minions fail to practice CRM at all...........and how dare they use their ingenuity to share their experiences with other S/O's !!

You just cant force CRM down the throats of some of these guys and all management knows it only so well.

I hate to disappoint the QF Deputy Chief, but things have changed since the 60's/70's.
There are more opportunities and avenues available to vent their grief and frustration thanks to modern technology.

If I had a problem I would always speak my mind and make my opnion known.
A beer with the relevant crew member was a good way to discuss things but if I got no joy I would talk to the relevant fleet/training pilot that would give advice and counsel.
That way all parties are aware of what is happening.

In my opinion, if the DCP of QF was an effective manager he would be trying to listen to these S/O's as to what is really happening at the coal face and sort out some of these well known problems rather than expressing his disgust and outrage.
If they fostered an open door policy without the stigma of being labelled a whinger then maybe it would never have come to this.

"How dare a Qantas pilot complain about mistreatment!!! In my day we just took it like a real man and went for a beer...."

The last thing that makes me think twice about this supposed "letter of outrage" is why the DCP is writing this letter rather than the Chief Pilot himself?

Care to comment?